The Competency and Credentialing Institute (CCI) offers the Certified Operating Room Nurse (CNOR) Examination for certification purposes. CNOR certification is intended to distinguish a skilled RN, reinforce conscious applications of theory when caring for patients and augment a nurse’s knowledge with ongoing education.
With certification, candidates can demonstrate responsibility and ability to provide the best care. Certification helps demonstrate expertise in surgical nursing, and it gives potential employers a better understanding of a candidate’s skills. The CNOR certification is valid for five years. A BSN is not needed to take the exam, but candidates must have two years and 2400 hours of experience as an operating room nurse.
The test is computer-based and includes 200 multiple-choice items. Out of these questions, 15 will not be scored. Candidates will not know which questions are scored and which are not. Since variations of the test have different levels of difficulty, the final score is formed in a process known as equating. In order to pass, candidates need a minimum scaled score of 620. The actual number of questions answered correctly (raw score) on a passing exam will vary for the different tests given.
In this assessment, candidates must be able to assess the patient’s health, form differential diagnoses, identify likely results, create a plan for medical attention, put a prevention plan into place, put a plan for the best physiological protection into practice, educate the patient and family, be reliable with patient rights and responsibilities, document perioperative events, assess how the patient is doing with the plan of care, manage people, manage tools and support services, communicate patient information, determine the plan for discharge, choose and utilize methods for cleaning, packaging, sterilizing and disinfecting, handle emergencies and be professionally accountable.
CNOR Exam Subject Areas
The content of the CNOR exam is divided into nine domains:
Domain 1: Preoperative Patient Assessment and Diagnosis (14%)
Domain 2: Identify Expected Outcomes and Develop a Plan of Care (9%)
Domain 3: Intraoperative Activities (31%)
Domain 4: Communication (9%)
Domain 5: Transfer of Care (5%)
Domain 6: Cleaning, Disinfecting, Packaging, Sterilizing, Transporting, and Storing Instruments and Supplies (12%)
Domain 7: Emergency Situations (8%)
Domain 8: Management of Personnel, Services, and Materials (6%)
Domain 9: Professional Accountability (6%)
CNOR Exam Development
A job analysis and test outline have been developed by CCI’s Test Specifications Committee, in cooperation with the CCI’s testing agency, Prometric. The job analysis describes the overall functions and responsibilities as well as the underlying knowledge and skills that are essential to ensure proficiency as a perioperative nurse. The CNOR Exam Content Outline contains detailed information on the categories covered on the CNOR exam. The exam items are developed by item writers and reviewed and validated by the Item Review Committee.
CNOR Exam Details
- 200 multiple choice questions
- 3 hours and 45 minutes to complete the exam
- A knowledge-based exam which assesses the knowledge (what a nurse should know) and tasks (what a nurse should know how to do) of a perioperative nurse with two years of clinical practice
- Computer-based test
- Each question has four answer options
- Only one answer is correct
- No multiple answers, i.e. “A and C”; “A, C, and D”, “All of the Above”
- Can “mark” and “review” questions to return to later
- Allow one minute per question
- Answer all questions
- Complete the entire exam. The CNOR exam will continue even if you have reached a passing score
- Current passing score is 620
CNOR Exam Tutorial
- 15 minute tutorial on how to take the CNOR exam is offered at the testing center
- Provides instructions on how to navigate through the exam
- No previous computer experience is required
Post Exam Survey
- Short survey follows the exam
- Answers to these questions do not affect exam results
CNOR Exam Results
- You will receive a pass/no pass result at the end of the exam and survey
- Current passing score is 620
- Score is based on the number of correctly answered questions
CNOR Practice Test With Instant Result:
With a desire to help you can refresher and be ready to pass the CNOR exam, we are pleased to presents to you the 35 multiple-choice questions accompanied with the corresponding answers (of which 25 explanation answers) for this CNOR practice test.
CNOR practice test on CareerPracticeTests.com is divided into two sections, with 20 multiple choice questions in 1 sections and section 2 consists of 15 CNOR practice questions remaining (click the “Next” button to go to section 2).
Your result will automatically be recorded, and then will display (when you complete this CNOR free practice exam by clicking on the “Submit” button) – which helps you to assess the knowledge, skills and more understanding about CNOR Exam.